Register a Silencer in Your Own Name

How to Register a Suppressor in Your Own Name

Depending on whether you live in Texas or not, the process will be slightly different. The main difference is that we’ll do the paperwork for Texas buyers, and non-Texas buyers will use an FFL/SOT holder in their state to handle the transfer and fill out the paperwork.

The first thing people hear about when they’re looking at buying an NFA item, such as a suppressor, is the ATF Form 4. The seems to cause a fair amount of stress as people worry over how they are going to fill out that dreaded form.

Well, the good news is that you don’t need to fill it out at all!

We, or your transfer dealer, will fill out two copies of this form for you after you register through your local S.I.D. Kiosk.

Signatures, fingerprints and personal information can be collected at the kiosk and you can download the handy Silencer Shop Mobile App to snap a selfie if you would rather not have to pay for a set of passport photos.


At this point, you get to practice waiting. For most people, the hardest part of buying a suppressor is having the patience to wait for that tax stamp to come back from the ATF.

The FFL/SOT holder who is handling the transfer will receive your tax stamp and will call you to come pick up your new toy!

As you can see, there really isn’t much to the process. Once you’ve been through it once, chances are you’ll do it again – especially after you see what a blast it is to shoot suppressed!